Pages

Monday 15 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey week 1 Day 3 Activity 2🌝

Hello fellow bloggers, today I have week 1 day 3 activity 2.
Here is my small piece of writing.

All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

PEPEHA
Ko ? te maunga    The mountain that I affiliate* to is ?
Ko ? te awa          The river that I affiliate to is ?
Ko ? te waka The waka that I affiliate to is ?
Ko ? tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is ?
Ko ? tōku iwi          My tribe is ?
Ko ? tōku hapu My sub-tribe is ?
Ko ? tōku marae My marae is ?
Ko Kiakohe ahau I am from Kiakohe
Ko Sarah rāua ko Mike ōku mātua  My parents are Sarah and Mike

Ko Charlie tōku ingoa. My name is Charlie

PEPEHA



1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Charlie-Gurl,

    I’m Dani, a member of the Summer Learning Journey team. I work in the Kaikohekohe (Northland) cluster of students along with Georgia.

    It’s great to see that you have attempted your pepeha. I have noticed that you have a few lines missing. I know it can be hard to figure out what to write.

    I thought I would share my pepeha with you to give you a better idea of what you could write.

    Ko Putahi te maunga
    Ko Whakanekeneke te awa
    Ko Active te waka
    Ko Robert Maunsell tōku tīpuna
    Ko Ngati Pakeha tōku iwi
    Ko Stephens tōku hapu
    Ko Okaihau ahau
    Ko Vicki rāua ko Lance ōku mātua
    Ko Danielle tōku ingoa.

    My awa ( river) is the river that runs through our family farm in Okaihau.
    Putahi is the mountain on Lake Road. This is the mountain that is closest to me, so that is the mountain that I have picked. You can use which mountain is closest to you, maybe Putahi is the closest so you could use that?

    My first ancestor who came to New Zealand was Robert Maunsell ( my founding ancestor / tīpuna) and he came here from Australia on a boat called Active ( my waka). Maybe you can ask your parents if they know about your family’s history here in New Zealand?

    I’m a Pakeha, so my iwi is Ngati Pakeha and my family name is Stephens so that is my hapu ( sub tribe)

    Did you want to give it a go and see how many lines you can fill out now? Once you have written your full pepeha I can award you full points for this activity.

    If you need any help you can reply to this comment and I can try my best to help, otherwise you can ask a family member to see if they know any of these.

    I look forward to reading your pepeha soon!

    -Dani

    ReplyDelete